Thursday, March 20, 2008

Trial and Error

I have decided to start a garden. Yes that's right. Me - the poster child for a complete lack of homemaking ability - has decided to start a garden.

I can tell you right now that this is a really really really bad idea. It shouldn't be that complicated right? But I was blessed with the remarkable ability to over complicate the simplest of things. The purist in me wants to say -

"Hey its really not a big deal. Get some seeds, some potting soil, some coffee grounds from work, and a book on gardening. What could go wrong?"

But of course that sarcastic little voice that comes out at the worse (and best) of times likes to respond:

"Everything..."

Well pooh on you little voice. I'm starting my garden with or without your approval.
I've already gone and borrowed far too many books on gardening from the library and today I went and picked up some packets of seeds. Here's what I got:

Summer Squash
Zucchini (It's actually labeled as squash but it still looks like zucchini)
Onions
Carrots
Snap Peas

Plus I got two varieties of flowers (Phlox and Snapdragons) with which I plan to line the edges of my soon to be beautiful and prosperous garden. I think I may be going a bit overboard.

I suppose that's a rather ambitions little crop I have planned but I've decided that this year will be the one where my garden works out. The last two tries were not as well planned which I believe (along with their location and the lack of funding) ultimately led to the downfall of each. The first time I was about 10 and I decided that I was going to have an indoor garden. I had three pots, each with about a 6 inch diameter, and I proceeded to use about 4 packets worth of different vegetable seeds in each. Needless to say, my garden quickly found suicide to be its ideal option. A few years later, on another gardening kick, I decided that this time I would try my plans outdoors. I began to work away at the 2 x 4 bit of soil I had in front of my bedroom window (we were living in a meager apartment complex at the time) and after reaching the concrete that was 3 inches below the surface, quickly gave up.

The greatest success I've had so far has been with my houseplants. I have three. Two bamboo and a jade. I've only had them about 6 months or so but they all seem to be doing well. I've made sure they get their recommended amount of water and sunlight and occasionally I sing to them. The bamboo seems to prefer ballads.

I think its safe to say that I've had my fair share of trial and error when it comes to gardening. Hopefully I'll have better luck this year.

I'll let you know!

Lizzy

No comments: