Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Soulful Bangs

Drastic times call for drastic measures. In the last several months I have redefined the very essence of what I consider my purpose in life. So, to commemorate it, I got my hair cut.

Ok in all seriousness I'm not quite that shallow but both statements hold true. I have been reconsidering a lot of things lately. And I did get my hair cut. I've made some serious steps towards a real career as a writer, I've reevaluated some things with my current romantic fascination, and taken on several new spiritual projects. I felt like my hair could use something new. However when I say "spiritual" I mean it in the most loosely defined sense possible. For example, I consider revamping the music on my ipod with exotic new harmonies to be rather spiritual. To some extent I identify bits of myself with the music I choose to listen to and in many ways I make sense of people by looking at the music they listen to. And the food they eat. And how they cut their hair. Maybe that's why, when I make a big change with the intangible dimensions of my life, it feels good to make a physical change to parallel it. Besides - new haircuts are fun. New people are fun too - they are little puzzles to figure out; little pieces of thoughts and ideas, drink preferences and bad facial hair choices. That's what makes life interesting. So I change my hair, change my routine, and open my life up to new possibilities. And there you have it: haircut = spiritual. I took two inches off and I got bangs. Go me.

In other news I've made wonderful friends at work. My coworkers are not only friendly but knowledgeable and intriguing. You never know what kind of people you'll meet. Even more interesting though are some of the customers that come in. I've learned a few lessons from meeting so many people in such condensed periods of time. I've overheard a lot of inspiring conversations and come to realize that the old adage "You can't judge a book by its cover" still holds true. I place no stock in stereotypes and have found that some of the sweetest souls are housed in unconventional lodgings. I urge everyone to look beyond the surfaces we see upon each other. There are amazing qualities within each of us. Also I've been given wonderful gardening advice from a large variety of sources. Can't ask for much more than that can you?

More on its way!

Lizzy

P.S. Spring is on its way too!

No comments: